Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The Excitement Continues...

Two big things happened today. The first - I got my Taiwanese passport. The second - my dad sent me the plans for Tibet.

The minute I told my dad about quitting my job to do some travelling, he offered to take me on a trip to Tibet with him and my uncle. And he offered to pay. My response? "FUCK YEA I WANT TO GO." I don't think he understood the "FUCK YEA" part but understood the enthusiasm.

One big hurdle - obtaining a Taiwanese passport. Since I was born in Taiwan, I have citizenship. However, somewhere along the way, my family misplaced my Taiwanese passport and haven't had one since 1989. The main reason for getting my Taiwanese passport this time - there's a $250CDN extra charge between a Taiwanese and Canadian passport - so it just makes sense. Let me tell you - this was not an easy hurdle. To get my passport, I needed to fill out forms that were all in Chinese, having to get my previous Canadian passports as proof of my travels to Taiwan and my household registration card from Taiwan. Needless to say, all that work paid off and I got my Taiwanese passport today.

Now - onto Tibet. Here's the itinerary:

Taipei - Shanghai - Shining - Lhasa (17 days to explore the capital and Gonggar, Gyangtse, Shigatse, Sagya, Lhatse) - Shanghai - Taipei

I have no idea what any of those cities (or if they can even be called cities) are like but I'm beyond excited. Tibet seems like a dream and the opportunity to travel there is not something everyone can say they will be able to do in their lifetime. So I'm very lucky and thankful I have a Dad who is so generous to take me on this trip of a lifetime. These 21 days will be a great time to bond with him and my uncle and to get away from technology and the hectic pace of city life. I want to take this opportunity to take incredible photos, write some inspired stories and have time to reflect on life.

The countdown begins for April 21st. 80 days to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment