Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Appreciate Awesome Bosses

A person once told me at the start of my career in advertising, "You'll never appreciate an amazing boss, until you have a bad one." It's been something that has been ringing in my head recently as I count my way down to my last day of work. (FOUR MORE DAYS! Yippie!)

Rather than focus on the bad bosses I've had (thankfully, there were only three in these last five years), I've decided to dedicate this blog to identifying the qualities I found most admirable about the awesome bosses I've had. Love to hear your opinion on if you agree on the points I've listed out below:

1) Awesome bosses teach, mentor and take an active interest in developing an employee's career.
When I started in this business, I thought I knew my shit - at least that's what my career development department and every other professor at school told us. There were these high expectations set that in two years, I would take over the world. Well, I guess it came as a bit of a shock that on my first day of work in advertising, I spent 12 hours designing circles with random words in them, cutting them out and pasting them onto large black boards. My boss who hired me, Kim Hunter (who happened to be an Ivey grad as well) told me, "trust me, there's a reason for this." Like any good employee, I put my head down and quietly cut circles, something I'm sure I mastered in junior kindergarden art class.

It wasn't until all the craziness of the big corporate meeting was over (which was why we were prepping these boards with circles) that she sat me down and explained the craziness. Although she didn't have time then to explain to me how I was contributing to the bigger picture, she certainly did afterwards. From that day and all the way until I stopped working with her, Kim took and active role in explaining (sometimes more than once), teaching and helping understand why things happened the way they do at the agency.

She also played a key role in developing my career from lowly intern to an Account Executive. We had honest conversations about where I wanted to go in the agency and I didn't realize it then, but conversations like that were rare in this industry because some bosses couldn't care what you want to do 2 years from now, all they want is for you to do the work for them now. And since then, ever since we've stopped working together (which was about four years ago) she continues to be a great friend who I've talked about some big career decisions and thoughts with.

It is truly impressive that a person would spend that much time and energy into helping you grow and develop in your career. This is certainly something I've taken away and practiced with those interns and Account Coordinators that worked with me - hopefully, I lived up to the same standards that Kim set!

2) Awesome bosses are secure with their skills and abilities.
They know when to give their two cents and know when to back away to allow their team members to run the show. They recognize when they have to talk and when they have to listen. They believe that when their employees shine, they do too in association. I've been very lucky that there have been bosses that have let me run with projects full speed and trust I'd get the work done. They've let me step out and present even when my title wasn't anywhere close to theirs. Andreas Doerig really fit this to a tee. When we worked together, he let me present work, he allowed me the freedom to run with my own projects and was always there when I needed help. He had a calm approach but knew exactly when it was necessary to step in and add his input so that nothing fell off the rails. He always credited me and the team and called us out for the great work we did. When we shined, he did too. Couldn't have asked for a better boss there.

3) Awesome bosses are good people, both in and outside of the office.
These are the people who you want to have a drink with at the end of a long, stressful day and talk about other things besides work. They are good judges of character because they have great character themselves and know how to read others well in order to help them when they need it the most. They are understanding and put more value on the emotional quotient of their jobs than the intellectual part. I'm not saying these people are dumb feeling obsessed people; these are super smart individuals who just treat others as human beings because they know how they'd like to be treated themselves. There was no other boss that upheld this more than Jane Prendergast - also calm and collected, she was always happy, never let anything bother her and really empathized with me when I faced a challenge. She's one tough Account Director too - I've seen her go head to head with Clients, but she always finishes the conversation with a smile on her face and still holds the standard for me as the happiest person I know in advertising.

Those to me are the three main characteristics I valued in my awesome bosses - there are other's to mention, but I can go on and on. The three I've pointed out above, Kim, Andreas and Jane, really embodied all three of those characteristics and I truly thank them, and all of the other great bosses I've had for helping me in my career.

Cheers to you all.

(Kim and I in 2008 at a cottage with other TBWAers)

No comments:

Post a Comment