Saturday, February 11, 2012

Quitting TV, Phone and Internet Cold Turkey.

I fear I may have done something really stupid. Yesterday was my last day with access to a phone, the internet and TV. As I returned both my modem and cable box to the Roger's store this morning, I started to develop a terrible twitch in my right eye.(sidebar - Roger's is a vile and evil company) What the fuck am I going to do with no internet, phone or TV?!

Sure, it's a firstworldproblem, I don't deny that. Especially since I think about all the money I've sunk into paying for 5 1/2 years of cable - at about $80/month, that's about $960 a year and over $5,000 for a succubus of time.

With just over two weeks left in the country, it made no sense for me to continue on with my services, but it was a struggle to make the decision of cutting myself off from the world for this amount of time. The nearest wifi connection I have is the local Starbucks, which closes at 9pm. How will I post on Facebook in the evenings now?!

It's been less than 24 hours since I've been disconnected from the internet and already I've paid for two $2.05 tall green teas (why so expensive Starbucks?) just for their internet. This makes me wonder how I'm going to adjust to travelling in Tibet in April, where the nearest electrical outlet is in neighbouring Nepal.

I expect that there will be a couple more $2.05 tall green teas in the next couple of days. I wonder if they make a digital patch or gum for this kind of addiction?

No comments:

Post a Comment