Saturday, March 10, 2012

One month of Funemployment

So it was one month ago that I spent my last day at work. A month has passed since I've had to send a work related email, fill out a status document, count revenue towards my jobs, and attend meetings, meetings about meetings, and meetings to discuss meetings about meetings. It certainly is a weird feeling to not have any responsibilities and the associated stress and anxiety that comes along with said duties. Then I realized that the weird feeling is a sense of happiness.

Don't get me wrong, I miss the daily interaction with people - shooting the shit about the day's latest celebrity gossip, sharing the latest viral video, or just being outright inappropriate. The people I worked with were great and I miss them dearly. But at this point, I can never picture myself stepping into an office again. Too much confinement, too structured, too routine.

It's also another anniversary - a shorter one this time, it's been a full week since I've been away from Toronto. Spending time with my family has been a blast, but there's something to be said about being able to hang out and have fun with people your own age. I miss my friends, especially when trying to find new friends in a new city is not the easiest of tasks. The language barrier and the nuances of my tone and jokes are a bit lost on people here, something that would garner many laughs at home. It can't be homesickness - that can't kick in this early, but I have to make more of an effort to put myself out there and take chances and risks to meet new people. Hopefully it'll start with St. Patty's Day next Saturday - still on a quest to find an Irish pub in the city.

Anyway, just a quick note to mark an important date - March 10th - in my year of travels.

No comments:

Post a Comment