Sunday, March 4, 2012

5 Simple Things I'm Doing Daily

I'm starting something new. A small simple list of five things now that I have all the time in the world on my hands. These are things I always found an excuse for when I was working and decided that taking the time out for simple things wasn't worth my time.

1. Take 45 minutes out of the day for a stroll or to run. I was able to do this while I was in Toronto (as I loved to walk to and from home to work) but as the winters came around, there was always an excuse not to go to the gym to hop on a treadmill. Exercise is so important, especially when you've been sitting at work all day. Your health is important, so give yourself that needed time to walk it out.

2. Brown bag a lunch and eat away from home/work - I find a small park is a great setting for this. When I was working, it was so easy not to take time away from my desk - a meeting gets booked in, a client wants to talk, your boss needs something. All excuses that kept me from taking a walk outside for a break and to clear my head. Now that I no longer work in an office environment, it's easy to appreciate the small pleasure of sitting outside and having time to reflect.

3. Read a chapter or two of a book and really read it. Understand it. Reflect on it. Love it. Ever since university ended, I've done very little reading. Sure, the odd book here and there, but it's time that I focus on reading again and kickstarting the passion I had for it when I was a young child in grade school.

4. Trying something new. Whether it be a new running route or sitting on a bus in the city and letting it take me somewhere I've never been before, I've committed to doing something new everyday.

5. Do a small chore - wipe down your kitchen counter, clean your sink, vacuum your room. A mindless chore helps take you away from the rapid pace the rest of the world is travelling at.

It's been three days since I've jotted down these five things to do. I've been keeping up with them. With no other commitments to stop me from doing this daily, I have no excuses not to keep this going. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment