Saturday, April 14, 2012

Countdown to Tibet - 2 days.

It's hard to believe that within 12 hours, I'll be on a flight bound for Shanghai then heading towards the region known as the roof of the world - Tibet.


It was the day after I handed in my resignation at work that I called my dad to let him know of what I did and ask him if I could stay in Taipei for a bit.  Clearly, I didn't go about things the right way as most considerate sons would have asked their dad first before making an important life decision, but like I've already blogged, I'm a bad son.  However, my dad is clearly a better person than I am, not only did he say yes to me staying with him in Taipei, but he asked if I wanted to go to Tibet with him and my uncle.  And he offered to pay.  This decision to quit and travel the world couldn't have come at a better time.


14 days - the total length of the trip.  We first stop in Shining, China, where we'll be taking the Qinghai-Tibet railway to Lhasa, where we'll spend the majority of the time in Tibet.  I've never travelled for an extended period of time by rail, and the total trip will take three days to give passengers the time to adjust to the altitude.  


I've been trying to decipher the itinerary more, but due to my lack of Chinese reading capabilities, all I have been able to do is figure out that we might be taking some day tours in a 4x4 Toyota SUV - the only thing that is in English.  In reading up about Tibet (thanks Wikipedia) I cannot wait to see the Potala Palace in person.  Lhasa, translated as "The Place of the Gods", was made the capital of Tibet in the 7th century and as it is a place of the Gods, I look forward to staring at many temples.  I'm sure the phrase "Same, same but different" which I learned in Thailand, will be used again.


The three things I look forward to on this trip - 1. having the time to spend with my dad, 2. being totally disconnected from the world (I doubt there's an internet cafe I'll be able to waste my time at, but who knows) and 3. getting to explore a place that very few can say they've been before.

No comments:

Post a Comment