Monday, April 29, 2013

Hey G Adventures - let's take a stroll through my gallery.

Hello G Adventures Team!

So you've read my cover letter and reviewed my CV, it's time to get to the good stuff - the photos.

I'll admit, because I like being upfront and honest, I have not had any sort of professional photography training or done any professional photography work. All of my work displayed below is amateur. But I believe I have a great eye for photography, I also try to learn by experience and teach myself how to improve on my technical and composition skills each time I go and explore with my camera (quite the "autodidact" you can say).

Anyway, you've read enough chatter, let's take a scroll through my photos and you can see for yourself if I'm what you're looking for.

Taken at Angkor Thom, Siem Reap, Cambodia.
A great tour guide I once had said something I will never forget, "Always remind yourself to take a look at what is behind you." Turning around after walking through the narrow west gate of Angkor Thom, I turned back and snapped this fella not two feet behind me.

Taken near Le Hotel du Ville, Paris, France.
There's something about the way that this bubble was captured in black and white that reminds me of a sci-fi movie shapeshifter.


Taken from the top of the Marina Bay Sands, Singapore.

The sky's reflection sandwiches the Singapore cityscape.

Taken at Wat Po, Bangkok, Thailand.
Tradition has it that if you pick up a bowl of coins, drop a coin in each bowl along the temple and you have the exact number of coins to match the bowls, the Giant Laying Buddha will bring you good luck. This woman clearly wanted to ensure she got it right, creating quite the backlog of irate luck seekers.

Taken at the Isle of Skye, Scotland, UK.
The overcast clouds of Scotland provide perfect lighting for this shot of my friend wandering out into the middle of a lake. The stillness of the water and lack of wind that day helped provide a near perfect reflection.

Taken at the docks on Koh Samui, Thailand.
Thailand's three islands in the southwest are the perfect getaway for those trying to escape Bangkok. Here, relaxed passengers get ready for the return to the big city.

Taken in Asakusa, Tokyo, Japan.
Tokyo is often represented in tour guides by this one area - Asakusa and its bustling markets. On the weekends, we see a rare glimpse in this photo of actual pavement as it is packed with locals and tourists alike.

Taken at a carnival in Paris, France.
Memories of the CNE flooded my mind as I bought a few entry tickets to a carnival my friend and I stumbled across while wandering aimlessly through the 19th arrondissement.

Taken on a boat headed to Siem Reap, Cambodia.
Sepia really brought out the general haze of sailing up the river towards Siem Reap. Passengers gathered on the top deck to get some sun and escape from the stale cabin air below.

Taken at Gold Beach, Normandy.
A day going from beach to beach in Normandy and we were rewarded with this spectacular view over the cliffs at Gold Beach.

Taken at the Central Market, Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
I affectionately call this one "Mary Poppins Monks." It was fascinating the respect they got - traffic came to a halt as they walked through traffic.

Taken near Lhasa, Tibet.
In one of the most awesome feats of human engineering, the First Palace near Lhasa stands on top of a steep hill with a path that leads to a shrine at the peak. From the peak, you look back and see the stunning backdrop behind the palace where the old Dalai's use to be able to walk out and meditate to everyday.

Taken in the streets of Bangkok, Thailand.
When the sun sets on Bangkok, the food carts come out to play.

Taken by the Seine River in Paris, France.
1,000 drummers took to the streets to celebrate music. This is just a third of the group.

Taken in Halong Bay, Vietnam.
Passengers take the opportunity to embrace and hide from the powerful Vietnamese sun.

Taken at Ulan Temple in Bali, Indonesia.
Balinese women on their way to a wedding with gifts upon their heads.

Taken in Johkar Square in Lhasa, Tibet.
The wares of the Tibetan traders in the market square. What's your best offer?

Taken at Mljet National Park in Mljet, Croatia.
Leaving a piece of Canada behind with the Inukshuk.

Taken near Inverness, Scotland.
Could it get any more Scottish in this photo? All we're missing is haggis.

Taken in Hvar, Croatia.
They boats were hypnotizing as they swayed back and forth while tethered to the sea floor.

Taken near Central, Hong Kong.
Someone decided that this neighbourhood could use some colour - and it sure worked.

Taken in Tibet.
Hairy buffalo line the river's edge so that tourists can jump on for a souvenir photo.

Taken at Angkor Wat, Siem Reap, Cambodia.
This young monk ponders why he's of so much interest to tourists.

I hope you enjoyed my portfolio / digital gallery and that you had a chance to see my composition and point of view in taking photos.

If you have any questions, or want to chat in person, I'd be happy to meet.

Thanks again for reviewing my work. I appreciate your time.